The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
A seasonal blend of vegetables is roasted until tender, tossed with pan-seared tofu and a maple balsamic vinaigrette and served over steaming brown rice for a truly satisfying plant-based bowl. I can’t get enough of the flavors and textures in these bowls. Whether served for dinner or prepped ahead for a week of meal-prep lunches, this one is sure to satisfy all the fall cravings.
While we’re not a vegan or vegetarian household, I cook plant-based meals regularly and tofu is on the dinner menu about once a week. I prefer to use extra firm tofu, which can be crumbled into pasta sauce and transformed into taco “meat”, or cubed and pan seared until golden brown like I’m doing here. Heinen’s carries an assortment of tofu and plant-based proteins, including Cleveland Tofu, which is truly in a league of its own. I love the texture and flavor of this local variety.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbsps. Heinen’s balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsps. Heinen’s organic pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp. Heinen’s organic stone ground mustard
- ¼ tsp. Heinen’s crushed red chili flakes, optional
For the Vegetables:
- 12 oz. Heinen’s diced butternut squash or 3 cups peeled and cut butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 12 oz. Heinen’s halved Brussels sprouts, or 3 cups trimmed and halved brussels sprouts
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. Heinen’s olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Tofu:
- 16 oz. Cleveland tofu
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Heinen’s onion powder
- 2 containers Heinen’s cooked brown rice, heated
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the balsamic vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk until well combined and season to taste with salt; set aside.
- Combine the butternut squash, Brussels sprouts and red onion together on the sheet pan. Toss with 2 Tbsps. olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until squash is fork tender.
- While the vegetables roast, prepare the tofu. Drain the tofu and wrap in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to remove excess moisture. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Gently toss with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, garlic powder, and onion powder. Season to taste with salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with oil spray or nonstick cooking spray. Sauté the tofu for about 10 minutes, flipping often, or until light golden brown on all sides.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and add the tofu to the sheet pan. Drizzle on the vinaigrette and toss gently until well combined.
- Divide the heated brown rice into bowls, top with roasted vegetables and tofu, and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.