The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
No matter the season, your immune system can always use a boost!
I often see packaged immunity shots when walking through the refrigerated aisles at Heinen’s and as amazing as those are when you’re in need of a boost on-the-go, you can easily and affordably make the same concoctions at home using fresh ingredients from Heinen’s.
Most of the immunity shots I see at the grocery store contain ginger, turmeric, citrus and some sort of spicier element, like black pepper and cayenne. Each of these ingredients on their own offer incredible health benefits, but together, they are a powerhouse of antioxidant and ant-inflammatory goodness.
The great thing about this recipe is that it yields about six shots, so you can make a batch to last the entire week! Simply blend the ingredients together, strain, store in a jar and enjoy daily. Your immune system will thank you!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 6 Shots
- ¼ cup (24g) fresh ginger, chopped
- ½ inch fresh turmeric
- 1 lemon, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and chopped
- A dash of Heinen’s ground cinnamon
- A dash of Heinen’s cayenne pepper
- A dash of freshly cracked black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blitz until mostly smooth.
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a measuring cup or bowl and let the liquid strain from the pulp. Mix with a spoon to help strain the liquid. Discard the pulp.
- Pour 1 oz. (30ml) into a small glass and enjoy.
- Store the remaining mixture in a glass jar in the refrigerator.